Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Draw step by step





Visit My Website at www.shungArts.com For More


Hello guys, before we get started here is my other website ( www.shungarts.com ) in case you want to check it out. Alright, let's get started, drawing is fun,  I think you all know that, if you are visiting this web page and you like to draw then you have come to the right place and there is no doubt that this is the place to horn your skills and to find insights for Art. Nevertheless, this series of Learn to draw step by step, I will be showing you stages of how I create my Art and from sketching to finishing the Image, the beginning is just another start to a journey that never ends. The reason why I chose Pencil as the medium of Art is that it is so forgiving and gives an opportunity to tailor in one direction instead of going back and forth painting over layers and layer of paint. In addition, graphite is very autonomous when it comes to detail, very clean and sly of pencil almost feels granular to that of stenciled chalk. The picture below is a drawing of hair I made over the summer and I must tell you, it was an amazing experience to fill in those negative space. 

 It is memorable when I drew the picture of hair above, It rather started as a joke, not until I realized that  I could be drawing yet another masterpiece to add to my portfolio for admiration along the years to come. One insightful tip I would give is that, when drawing a subject, it is very prudent to listen to your thoughts, visualize the finished drawing, that way you will become more ambitious and guided towards the picture you hold in your mind of a finished drawing. When you draw you start admiring your own work as you outline layer by layer, then all of the sudden you get into the zone, in your own Artistic World. Insight #2, You should always make sure your reference photo is of hight quality if the reference photo is clear enough to see the detail, the finished drawing turns out to be very detailed. Visible highlights,  visible contours, and soft edges must be considered when necessary. 


Visit My Website at www.shungArts.com For More


My anecdotal experience drawing the picture above or rather below is that, I had only one pencil in hand. Going back and forth, turn the drawing upside down to get different perspective for accuracy, was the funniest moment. I never had a right paper to use, For that matter, I ended up drawing on a printing paper. For future projects, my recommendation will definitely be using a Strathmore Vellum Drawing paper, not an endorsement of any company. The drawing paper has two sides to draw on, one side is bristle-like, the other side is smooth. Regarding which style you want to achieve, that should be to your preference. Simple things such as becoming less serious and having energy to just draw make a difference in Art. Below is the finished product. 

Visit My Website at www.shungArts.com For More




Insight #3; When drawing realistic portraits or just any other pictures, my tip is to envision or look at the reference picture in shapes. For example, the picture above will be seen as a pattern of hire coming down and the white space in between hair will be seen as another shape or shapes. That way, you become less intimated to what you are drawing.
My experience as a software developer and a pencil artist has taught me many things. One important thing I have learnt all these years of experience is that; learn to accept mistakes and learn from them, never become hard on yourself.

If you like my post, please go ahead and leave a comment and do come back to check on new posts.

Visit My Website at www.shungArts.com For More







2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I like the detailing and white against the black in the hairs. I always wondered how it is done. Do you use a special super thin erasure to get the white out lines?

    http://philotoyourhealth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for commenting.. I use an eraser called "kneaded eraser" they go at approximately $1 to $2 in art shops.

    ReplyDelete